The Inc. Village of Plandome Manor, incorporated in 1931, as well as the villages of Plandome and Plandome Heights to its south, derives its name from the Latin 'Planus Domus', meaning plain, or level home. The manor house of Matthias Nicoll who was an early mayor of New York City and among the first generation of the Nicoll family on Long Island, was a wood frame home built in the 1670s, and one of the first homesteads in this area of Cow Neck, the original name of the Manhasset/Port Washington Peninsula. The manor itself was torn down in 1998 and replaced with another estate.
Author Frances H. Burnett, author of The Secret Garden, built her home, Fairseat, in Plandome Park in 1908, and lived there until her death in 1924. Her son, Vivian, and his wife Constance, had built a home nearby on Bayview Road after their marriage. Frances Burnett's nephew, publisher Archer P. Fahnestock moved into Fairseat after her death, but the home burned down leaving only the stucco carriage house and garden intact. In 1940, Fahnestock sold it to Leroy Grumman.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2), of which, 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (13.56%), including Leeds Pond in the northeastern part of the village, is water.
Search Plandome Manor Homes for Sale
The source of the displayed data is either the property owner or public record provided by non-governmental third parties. It is believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc.